星期二, 6月 19, 2007

Chinese-English Electronic Dictionaries

So you saw an electronic dictionary and think it would be handy for your Chinese studies? Well, it could be, but they are so 90s! One retailer previewed the most basic, monochrome dictionary for me and it was $120 US dollars! I could probably bargain it down to $100, but there is NO way I'm going to shell out that kind of money for something which only has one use. I'd rather put $200 into a color PDA which can run a number of nifty and useful applications.

The software I am planning on installing on my PDA is apparently a very good Chinese dictionary by Pleco. The dictionary can recognize stylus-inputed characters. It can even assemble textbook wordlists which can be downloaded off the internet. Just check out their website and you will see what I mean!

EDIT: (08/05)
I test ran Pleco off of my friend's PDA and it was okay, but intuitive and user-friendly it was not. It was split into two columns which made the content extremely inconvenient to read. I could have put it in one-column mode, but that would have made it even more inconvenient to navigate. It just wasn't as good as I expected it to be. I'm looking into getting a Wacom tablet for my computer instead.

I've noticed that many students here at ICLP are using Wenlin on their computers and also referring to http://xuezhongwen.net.

沒有留言: